This past weekend, I made the trip home to Florence to spend some quality time with my family. As always, the trip was too short and I found myself headed back up Highway 43 before I knew it. Here's what went on...
Friday, I met Mama and Daddy at my favorite Mexican restaurant in Florence where I had one (or two!) margaritas with my yummy cheese dip and tacos. Now that I've lived in three different places, I can say with absolute certainty that, while the menus may be the same, no restaurant can match Casa. Once we got home, I needed some Emma time and then I went to bed very early--even for me.
Saturday started fairly early since my bed in Florence is just not as comfortable as my bed in Nashville. Actually, I think the fact that I was cold was the true problem. After I got moving, I went to take care of Grandaddy and get him ready for the afternoon. Mama met me at Grandaddy's house and we arranged flowers to take to Haleyville later that day. I think it's really an "Old South" thing, but both Grams and Grandaddy's families both had a "decoration" that is basically like a family reunion and a trip to the cemetery to put flowers on the graves of your loved ones. Grandaddy's family's decoration is always on the third Sunday of May. For various reasons, Sunday did not work for us this year, so Mama and I loaded Grandaddy up and took him to Haleyville Saturday afternoon. I hadn't been back to the cemetery since the tombstone arrived and I was pleasantly surprised with how well the stone turned out. It's not too small, but it's not a statue of the husband and wife like just down from our family plot. I kid you not, there are life-size statues of this couple on either side of their tombstone.
After we got back to Florence, we spent a little more time with Grandaddy and then headed back to Mama and Daddy's house. I decided to start cleaning out the closet in my bedroom and came upon some interesting things. Besides my old Show Choir bloomers and jazz shoes, I found Chemistry notes from TEN years ago! I must really be a hoarder to still have those. I parted with some clothes that I will never be skinny enough to wear again and it felt good to get rid of things. There's still a good deal of work left, but it looks so much better already.
Sunday started off with choir practice and chatting with good friends before church. After church, we ate our usual meal and then Mama and I went back to see Grandaddy. We watched a Netflix movie and then it was time to go back to Nashville. My cousin, Lauren, is still here with her husband at Vanderbilt, but she spent the night with me last night. After a quick trip to check on Adam, she and I went back to my house and decompressed a little before going to bed much later than my normal time. Needless to say, I was quite tired this morning.
All in all, it was a busy, but good weekend. I'm already looking forward to next weekend and an extra day off of work for Memorial Day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment