Monday, June 17, 2013

Happy Birthday, Grandaddy!!

Today is Grandaddy's 94th birthday.  I can't fathom all the changes he has seen in his life and everything that he has experienced from growing up in Haleyville, to going to Africa and Europe in World War II, to going being the first in his family to receive a college education and then to raising a family with my sweet Grams.

I can't adequately say how much I look up to him and how much he has influenced my life.  I can only hope I can find someone who is half as hard-working and patient as him to spend my life with.  There is no other man like my Grandaddy and I am so lucky that he is mine!

I went through all my pictures of him that I have on my computer in Nashville.  I'll caption the pictures to try to explain the story behind each one.


Quite possibly the most handsome man in the entire United States Army.
Early on in their marriage.  So sweet!
Grandaddy graduating from Peabody College in Nashville.
Such a handsome young man.
Typical Grams and Grandaddy.  In the woods near where Grams grew up.
A Grandaddy and his baby.  A love like no other.
Best friends for over 70 years.  Together they spell T-R-O-U-B-L-E.

A drawing of Grandaddy from the front of his retirement card.  He turned 80 the month after his retirement.  He taught math for 25 years before being the Director of Maintenance for the school system for another 25.


My precious boy.  I think this was around his 90th birthday.

Grandaddy's induction in to the Winston County Sports Hall of Fame

Grandaddy and me at his induction into the Winston County Sports Hall of Fame.  He was the star quarterback at Haleyville High School.

Grandaddy visiting the WWII Memorial in Washington.

Still in love after 64 years together.
Grandaddy and his girls.  We used to fight over who got to sit next to him.  I always won.

At his old shop at Burrell-Slater on his 90th birthday.  His former coworkers had a party for him.

Opening Christmas gifts at the piano.

It's been fun looking through all of these pictures.  I'll have to scan some of my favorites next time I'm home.  I think the picture of me covered in candy cane sticky (thanks to Grandaddy) is sweet and I love a picture of the two of us making a mess of the kitchen eating watermelon together.  I can't look at a watermelon without thinking of Grandaddy.

As bad as things seem at times, his face still lights up when he sees me.  I teasingly ask him who I am and he always says "My baby!"  

I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always.  As long as I'm living your baby I'll be.

No comments: