Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Resolutions

I don't think I've ever made a "real" New Year's resolution. Of course, I'd like to lose weight and eat better like practically anyone else who makes a resolution, but those are such generic ideas. 

I found this list on another blog and thought these might be specific enough to be realistic for me. 

A bad habit I'm going to break--I have a tendency to be very whiney when I get stressed out. I want to do better managing my stress. My new job leaves me feeling like a small fish in a big pond frequently, but I need to trust in my skill and not worry so much. I might not be successful at this goal, but I want to give it a real try. 

A new skill I'd like to learn--I'd love to learn how to block the Japanese spam I receive daily. I have received at least one spam email from the same address every day for over four years. It's not that annoying since it goes to my Auburn email that is not my primary account, but enough really is enough. Thousands of emails later, it's time to put a stop to this nonsense. 

A person I hope to be more like--I have a friend whom I have looked up to for many years. She's one of the best at all she does--professionally and personally. She's experienced adversity in her life, but has grown from her experiences rather than being hindered by them. She's a person I always want to spend just 5 more minutes with and a person I always laugh with no matter the circumstances. It would be an honor to be considered even a little like her. 

A good deed I'm going to do--I'd love to get Emma certified as a therapy pet. I'm not sure if she can satisfy all the requirements, but I'd like to find out more and start the process, if possible. 

A place I'd like to visit--I haven't been to New York City since college. I'd love to go back and see as many shows as possible. (hint, hint...you know who you are)

A book I'd like to read--I'd like to read the (not so) new Dan Brown book. I've enjoyed the other books in the Robert Langdon series and I'm sure I'll enjoy Inferno as well. 

A letter I'm going to write--I love to receive letters from friends and family. I'm going to send one (or more) letters to people that are dear to me every month. It's so nice to get "real" mail instead of junk and bills!

A new food I'd like to try--I've recently learned that butter lettuce does not upset my stomach--in small quantities at least. I'd like to (carefully) sample other foods I avoid to see if I can expand my "safe" foods list. 

I'm going to do better at--Realizing when I know what I'm doing and asking for help when I don't. I think doing a better job at the "asking for help" part will go far in lowering my stress level. 

I'm sure I won't succeed at all of these items, but I'm going to give them a try. Here's to a great 2014--hopefully, the best year yet!

No comments: