Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Happy Veterans Day!

When I think of Veterans Day, my very first thought is of my own Grandaddy.  Of course I think of the other Veterans and those that are currently in our Armed Forces, but my very first thought is of my own sweet Grandaddy.

Grandaddy served in the United States Army from 1941 to 1945.  He fought in many major engagements in World War II.  It’s truly a miracle that he survived and returned home in one piece simply because of the number of major battles he was present for.  He received a Bronze Star and a Silver Star for his service to this country.  He does not want accolades for his military accomplishments.  To him, he was simply doing his duty to God and Country.

Grandaddy lived in horrible conditions and saw things no person should ever have to see during his military service, but he has never voiced any complaint about being drafted and serving overseas.  He actually has said feels he should express his thanks for the government allowing him to go to college through the GI Bill.  I think the way he has lived his life and provided for his family is the most appropriate way to express his thanks.

I have a hard enough time being 5 hours away from home, but I can’t imagine being an ocean away from home with absolutely no way to get home or even call home.  I can’t imagine how frightening that had to be.  I can’t imagine telling my family goodbye, not knowing if I would ever see them again on this Earth.  But Grandaddy did it.  And through it all, he survived.

Grandaddy selflessly served this country.  He fought to make the world a better place for future generations.  For that, I am thankful.

DSC_1018 I love you, Grandaddy!

No comments: