Tuesday, November 3, 2009

No Solicitation, Please!

One thing that irritates me about the condo complex I live in is that we have lots of solicitors.

Since I was a little kid, I have been taught to tell telemarketers, “We don’t accept telephone solicitation.”  Well, this time I want to publically say “I don’t accept any door-to-door solicitation, either!”

They come around offering such great deals or claiming to be doing work for school.  Today, for instance, this girl came by claiming to be working on a project for her Communications class.  She talked for a while, told me I looked like I was 18 tops, and then proceeded to tell me she was not in college, but high school and was trying to win a competition.  I don’t believe that because before I knew it she was trying to sell me magazines saying that her sales gave her points to win this “competition”.  I don’t know if that was real or not (I doubt it) but I politely told her I did not want to purchase any magazines and she left.

Unfortunately, I saw several other people going door to door and I assume they were other solicitors.  And this girl should have been in school too.  I wanted to ask why she wasn’t in school at 12:30 anyway as soon as she quickly said she wasn’t here for a college class, but she was in high school.

This has happened before.  Usually, they are not so convincing in telling you that it is a school project.  I have also had auto parts people come offering free oil changes and other regular maintenance, but you have to pay for the services up front and once you use them all, you get your money back.

Regardless of what they are selling, I wish they would just leave me alone.  I really want to put up a big sign that says “No Solicitation, Please!”

This may be harsh, but I just don’t want to have my time wasted or waste the solicitor’s time either because I am simply not going to sign up or buy something from them.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

I think the "contest" angle is what they're told to use. I had a girl talk to me the exact same way. I'm up for taking surveys and such, but no magazines, please. I have no use for them.

Katie said...

I didn't mind when I thought I was helping out with something for a class. I was ticked when she pulled out the magazine stuff. I get all of mine after my Grandmother is finished with them anyway.